We all know it’s important for companies to be involved in the communities where they do business. We believe it’s more than something to put in the annual report. It’s part of who we are and work on a daily basis. As a Company, AFA is always encouraging us to do our part to serve in the community. We even have an online forum where Colleagues can post about community events, fundraisers, etc. If I want to be involved in something I see on the forum, I just get in touch with the Colleague who posted the information. It’s so easy!
I’m proud to work at American Fidelity, where we support community efforts through participation in events, donations, etc. For example, the American Heart Association Heart Walk is set for April 20. Many of our Colleagues will be participating in the walk and we have floor leaders who have been raising money and selling T-shirts in support of being heart healthy.
This week AFA is holding its own Heart Walk for our Colleagues. On Wednesday, Colleagues are encouraged to make the walk to Mesta Park at 11:30 a.m. or 12:30 p.m. Having our own walk encourages our Colleagues to be heart healthy and to participate in the American Heart Association walk. The events not only help raise awareness for our Colleagues, but raise awareness in our communities as well.
Colleagues do a great job representing AFA and doing their part to support the community throughout the year. Here are some ways we like to volunteer and show our support.
- AFA allows Colleagues to tutor a student once a week for thirty minutes at our partner school, Buchanan Elementary.
- We host a volunteer water stop for the Memorial Marathon.
- We host onsite blood drives with the Oklahoma Blood Institute throughout the year.
- The last Friday of each month is Charity Jeans Day. Colleagues donate money to wear jeans and the funds go to a local nonprofit.
- AFA Colleagues volunteer at the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma.
- We have weeklong food drives to raise food items and money for the Regional Food Bank.
- AFA sponsors the Rolling Thunder Book Bus
These are just a few things American Fidelity and our Colleagues do to support the local community.
Have some suggestions on community events AFA could participate in? Let us know in the comments below!