- Complete your profile. Before you do anything else on LinkedIn, complete all of the sections in your profile. Make your profile your online resume and take care in completing the summary – if a recruiter looked at just your summary, what would you want them to know? Be concise and focus on your key strengths. Use a professional business headshot.
- Use SEO. Search engine optimization (SEO) can help recruiters find you. Read job descriptions for the positions you’re interested in and use keywords from those postings throughout your profile and in your skills listing. This will help you appear in the results if a recruiter searches for someone with those skills.
- Make connections. Within LinkedIn you can contact people in your email address book and can search for contacts based on company or university. This is a fast way to add your current connections to LinkedIn. Adding these connections will help you later, when you want to see if you know anyone who knows someone at a company where you’re applying.
- Ask for endorsements and recommendations. Once you have your key skills listed, contact your current network for endorsements and recommendations. With endorsements, all they have to do is click on the skills you have listed if they think you have those skills. With recommendations, they can write a brief recommendation about their experience working with you. When you ask for recommendations, let them know what skills you would like to emphasize and be sure to thank them for their time and return the favor!
- Research companies and people. Follow companies where you want to work. Then, look for the people who work at those companies. See if you have any common connections and ask for an introduction. Some people, may include the term LION in their profile, which stands for LinkedIn Open Networker, meaning they will connect with anyone. You can use the job search function to find jobs at companies you may not be familiar with and research those as well.
November 13, 2013 01:45 AM
At American Fidelity, we regularly use LinkedIn to search for job candidates, especially in hard-to-fill positions. As a job seeker, you can use LinkedIn as an online resume, to build your network and to attract recruiters to contact you! Follow these tips to use LinkedIn for your job search.