Top Four Tips for Career Fair Success
I remember when my university held career fairs. The idea of going always felt overwhelming – all of those potential employers in one place, hours spent chatting with people from companies I may have never heard of, uncertainty about what to expect. But, career fairs are a great way to meet recruiters and make a great impression before you even complete an application. They’re an important way to connect with companies and now that I’m on the other side, they’re a great way for me to connect with potential Colleagues.
I and the other recruiting team members at American Fidelity regularly attend career fairs and have some valuable tips on how you can make the most of your experience.
- Dress like you would for an interview. Because of the array of companies at these events, go for a more conservative, traditional look such as a black suit.
- Make copies of your resume. Print plenty of copies to distribute to all of the recruiters you talk to.
- Review the list of companies attending. Most career fairs provide some information about the companies who will attend in advance. Research the top several companies you want to meet with and think of a few questions to ask.
- Prepare your talking points. You may only have a minute with a recruiter – what you are you going to say? Practice a short elevator speech about your credentials and the skills you will bring to the type of position you’re looking for. Some recruiters may ask additional questions or even complete a brief interview, so be prepared to answer standard interview questions.
Check out these upcoming career fairs that AFA will attend!
- Oklahoma State University Oklahoma City – Sept. 26
- Oklahoma City University – Oct. 1
If you’re looking for internships, make sure to send your information to contact us now about spring and summer 2014 positions!
What advice do you have for job seekers attending career fairs?